The new 60,150 sq. ft. laundry facility in Manteca, CA exemplifies Crothall Healthcare’s constant endeavor to innovate. WSD teamed up with Crothall to deliver the state-of-the-art, LEED-certified, “steamless” facility using the most energy efficient cutting edge equipment available. Designed to handle 55 million pounds of linen annually, this automated system will offer centralized laundry services to both Northern and Central California.
The new CLS “steamless” facility opened for operations in June 2014 and is almost entirely controlled by computerized systems with touchscreen controls. WSD was selected to furnish and install all the laundry and mechanical room equipment as well as provide training to the employees on operating the new machines. Here is a breakdown of the equipment:
- 8-module 150 lb capacity Milnor’s Continuous Batch Washers (CBW) with award-winning PulseFlow® Technology, 56-bar presses, and Milnor 300 lb gas dryers, free standing washer-extractors, and dryers
- Chicago Dryer self-contained thermal fluid ironers including state of the art emission friendly low NOx burners, sheet separators, folder/crossfolders, dual stackers, small piece folders, bridges, conveyors, and automated controls
- E-Tech automated Sort on Rail material handling systems with conveyors and controls
- Thermal Engineering of Arizona’s water heating & filtering and heat recovery system
- Energenics Premier double auto-feed cart washer
- Colmac Industries self-contained gas heated steam tunnel with auto loader
- Parker Boiler low NOx direct hot water boilers
The finished product? Not only is CLS’s new commercial laundry facility design efficient, it is the most automated and technologically advanced facility in California – no easy feat in the tech savvy state. The new facility will save the facility approximately 40 million gallons of water annually – an importance underlined by California’s current drought.
WSD’s Todd Hyrn, Director of Operations, gave us a little look behind the scenes, explaining the basic operation of CLS’s new commercial laundry facility.
“The efficiency of the new facility begins with the complete automation provided by E-Tech’s sorting systems. The overhead monorail system transports linen to the Milnor CBWs and dryers for processing. It also delivers linen to the Chicago feeding, ironing, folding systems for finishing. Almost all linen is processed automatically through computerized systems with touchscreen controls operated by staff,” he said.
It certainly is a new age for commercial laundry operation and the new CLS facility is a showcase of that efficiency.
Crothall’s Vice President of Engineering & Technical Services, Ian Bigelow, was excited about the design and build of the new facility, and said “Crothall is excited to be partnering with WSD to build our second LEED-certified laundry facility from the ground up. This state-of-the-art facility will utilize the industry’s most environmentally friendly equipment, processes, and chemicals, and will support the Manteca community by creating jobs at a time when they are much needed.”
Partnering with WSD on the design and build was national construction and contracting company, Arco Murray.
Putting the wrap on another big project, WSD is continuing to work with commercial laundry facilities to deliver state-of-the-art, efficient laundry systems. Check back here regularly for WSD blog updates on future projects.